Internet access is blocked and you require manual instructions to update virus definitions on a Windows 64-bit server running the Symantec Protection Engine product.
To manually update virus definitions please download the latest Intelligent Update file for Windows Platforms (64-bit) from the following location, and save that file for transport to your Windows Server.
On the Windows 64-bit Server where you need to manually update virus definition files please use the following steps.
1. Copy the latest Intelligent Update file to the Desktop or folder on you Windows Server.
2. Open the Symantec Protection Engine Console, navigate to System / LiveUpdate Content, un-check "Enable scheduled LiveUpdate", and click on Apply.
-- if you do not click "Apply" then please open the Windows Service Manager and "restart" the Symantec Protection Engine service for the change to take effect.
3. Click on Start/Run and type "cmd.exe" to open a command prompt, and change directories to C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Scan Engine\Definitions\AntiVirus folder.
-- In the C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Scan Engine\Definitions\AntiVirus folder, run the following command:
> setup-iu.bat enable
Note: The output of the command will look something like the following: please be aware that the path enabled will be determined by Windows and products installed on your Windows server, and may be different from the one below.
c:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Scan Engine\Definitions\AntiVirus>setup-iu.bat enable
Checking Environment variable for IU
Checking 64-bit registry
Turning on IU shadowing in CSAPI
4. Copy the path provided when you run the "setup-iu enable" command on your server, and paste that into Windows Explorer.
-- In the example above I would copy / paste C:\PROGRA~3\Symantec\DEFINI~1\VIRUSD~1 into Windows Explorer.
5. Verify that a "CSAPIDefs" folder and "definfo.dat" file have been created in the location referenced by the setup-iu ouput.
-- If the "CSAPIDefs" folder does not exist, then create the folder.
-- If the "definfo.dat" file does not exist then please create a text file with that name.
-- Open the defino.dat text file in notepad, and make sure it has the following information.
6. In the open Command prompt, change directories to the location where the Intelligent Update file was saved, and run the following command.
> 20140718-002-v5i64.exe /extract VIRSCAN.ZIP C:\PROGRA~3\Symantec\DEFINI~1\VIRUSD~1\CSAPIDefs
Note: In the example above we are using the update file from July 18, 2014 revision 002 and path provided by setup-iu batch file : Your command line will vary according to the latest update file downloaded, and path provided by the setup-iu batch file.
7. When the Intelligent Update file has completed extracting the virus definition files to the CSAPIDefs folder, a dialog box for "Symantec Intelligent Updater" will appear on your desktop.
-- Please close the dialog box, and wait at least 3 minutes for the virus definitions to update in the Symantec Protection Engine program.
Windows 64-bit operating system
Symantec Protection Engine 7.0.1-7.0.3 and 7.5.0