Relevant versions: 8.0 and up
A Network Discover scan of a workstation is expected to be faster than an agent-based scan due to the following:
- A server has superior processing power compared to an Endpoint
- Endpoint Discover scans are done in parallel (this is not the case for regular Discover scans)
- An Endpoint Discover scan pauses if the Endpoint agent is busy with Endpoint Prevent, because Endpoint Prevent takes priority.
- The Endpoint Discover scan pauses if the battery is low or if Vontu runs out of space to store the files/incidents. (if this happens, it will show up in the logs at the FINE level) NOTE: Endpoint Prevent will never pause.
- Throttling of the Endpoint agent, which makes sure the Discover scan does not affect usability of the agent machine. There is a setting in the UI labeled Maximum average CPU usage which can be adjusted.
When it comes to scanning a large number of workstations, the Endpoint agent has the performance advantage.