How to exclude a long list of items in a discover filesystem target (using excludeFiles folder)
There is a limit to the number of characters than can be entered into a web interface field. For discover filesystem targets, this can result in a situation where you need to exclude more items than you can define in the interface.
To address that situation, you can use an "excludeFiles" folder to specify additional exclusions.
1. Create a directory named "excludeFiles" in the Symantec Data Loss Prevention configuration directory, for example \Vontu\Protect\config\excludeFiles\
( For a configuration with multiple Network Discover Servers, a copy of this directory and it's files must be present on each Network Discover Server. )
2. In this directory create one text file for each set of items to exclude. For example, you can create one file for each UNIX system to be scanned. Name the files hostname.txt, where hostname is the name of the system to be scanned, as provided in the target configuration. The hostname in this text file must match exactly the name that is in the Discover Target.
For example: If I create a scan target of \\servername\C$ I need to create a file "servername.txt" in the excludeFiles folder. Then if I want to exclude \\servername\C$\temp inside the servername.txt file I need to have a line \C$\temp
There are some limitations:
- Items to be excluded must be entered one per line. The items to exclude can be files, directories, symbolic links, or mounted directories.
- Full paths must be specified, and entries must each begin with / or \, followed by the share name, directory name, and file name. (For example, a valid path is \excludeshare\excludedir\excludefile)
- No wildcards are allowed (You can still put wildcards entries in the web interface, they will work with together with the exclude filter files.)
More details in Administrator's Guide.