Use the custom inventory script attached to this document to gather the desired model name from Lenovo computers and store the information in a custom data class. Then view the information in a custom report.
- Create a new data class to store the information to be collected by custom inventory
- Go to Settings>All Settings then Settings>Discovery and Inventory>Inventory Solution>Manage Custom Data Classes.
- Click New data class.
- Name the data class "Lenovo Model" (figure 1) and click OK.
- Click Add attribute.
- Name the attribute "Model" (figure 2), set Key to "No", and click OK.
- Add another attribute the same way named "Series".
- Click Save changes.
- Finally click the button that looks like a pointing hand (figure 3) right next to New data class, then copy the GUID field for the new data class and save it for later.
- Create a custom inventory script task.
- Go to Manage>Jobs and Tasks.
- Browse the folder drop-down menu to where you would like to add a custom inventory script task.
- Right Click on the folder, then select New>Task.
- Select the Run Script task (figure 4).
- Name the task appropriately.
- Select Script type: VBScript.
- Copy and paste the contents of the lenovomodel.vbs script into the large text box.
- Find the 13th line of the script and replace the GUID with the GUID of the new data class (figure 4).
- Save and run the script task on the appropriate computers (no data will be collected on non-Lenovo computers).
- Create a custom report to show the model of the inventoried Lenovo computers.
- Go to Reports>All Reports.
- Browse to a folder where you would like to add the custom report and Right Click on the folder.
- Select New>Report>SQL Report.
- Give the Report an appropriate name and then replace the text under Parameterized Query with the following query:
select vItem.Name [Computer], Inv_Lenovo_Model.Model, Inv_Lenovo_Model.Series from Inv_Lenovo_Model
left join vItem on Inv_Lenovo_Model._ResourceGuid = vItem.Guid
Inventory Solution 8.x