To install the LiveUpdate Host:
- From Hostedendpoint.spn.com navigate to the computers tab and select the computer of choice.
- Select Enable as Local Update Host.
It is also possible to manually download and install the LiveUpdate host:
- Download the binary file available at: https://ins.spn.com/ffdcdea6-be41-4bef-9e55-767acea6a453.bin
- Rename the file to ClientSiteProxy.msi.
- Create a folder on the chosen drive :\Program Files\Symantec.cloud\ClientSiteProxy
- Open a command prompt with administrative privileges.
- CD to the directory that the Client Site Proxy.msi file was downloaded to (i.e. CD "C:\users\user_name\downloads")
- Run the command "msiexec.exe /i "Symantec.cloud - Client Site Proxy.msi" INSTALLDIR="D:\Program Files\Symantec.cloud\ClientSiteProxy" (Replace D: with the chosen drive).
Once a machine is identified as an LUH it is registered using the Agent’s GUID and is made available for clients to use. The detection order used by clients is:
- LiveUpdate Hosts
- Port 3128
- LUH Max concurrent connections: 50
- Proxy Servers
- Direct connection to LiveUpdate servers
When an Agent requests content through the LUH, the LUH first checks the swap directory for the content. If the content does not already exist, the LUH will contact the LiveUpdate server directly to retrieve the requested content and then store it in the swap directory to be ready for the next agent.
After clicking Enable as Local Update Host the request begins to process but the installation never appears to complete:
- This behavior will occur when the client exists on a drive besides C:.
- Follow manual installation steps and install the LUH to the same drive as the client.
The Local Update Host has been installed but only the LUH agent is listed as reporting to it:
- A common source of failure is when the LUH has been identified by the agent seeking content but due to firewall/proxy/NAT in the environment the hostname cannot be resolved.
- From the client requesting content run a command prompt with the command "nslookup" to the expected LUH and ensure the hostname is resolved. If nslookup then review your routing tables and DNS server to resolve the name resolution issues.
The LUH errors with "Insufficient disk space for the cache directory:”:
- Ensure that there is plenty of free disk space
- Ensure that no other caching proxies are installed on the LUH.
- The method for determining free disk space for the LUH assumes that only one swap directory exists on the machine and will incorrectly calculate disk space if that is not true. If another caching proxy exists on the computer either it will need to be removed or the LUH will need to be installed on an alternate machine.
The LUH errors with "Detected upstream proxy is authenticated, this is not supported":
- Currently the LUH is not supported in environments with a proxy that requires authentication and will error as such.
- Remove the proxy or whitelist requests for liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com and allow this traffic to pass without authentication