Encryption Desktop can be installed on systems running the following versions of Microsoft Windows operating systems:
- Windows 8 Enterprise (32-bit and 64-bit versions)
- Windows 8 Pro (32-bit and 64-bit editions)
- Windows XP Professional 32-bit (Service Pack 2 or 3)
- Windows XP Professional 64-bit (Service Pack 2)
- Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 2 or 3)
- Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 SP2
- Windows Vista (all 32-bit and 64-bit editions, including Service Pack 2)
- Windows 7 (all 32-bit and 64-bit editions, including Service Pack 1)
- Windows Server 2003 (Service Pack 1 and 2).
Note: The above operating systems are supported only when all of the latest hot fixes and security patches from Microsoft have been applied.
Additional Requirements for Microsoft Windows 8 UEFI Systems
For systems running Windows 8 in UEFI mode, the following additional requirements must be met:
- System must be certified for Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit
- UEFI firmware must allow other programs or UEFI applications to execute while booting
- Boot drive must be partitioned in GPT with only one EFI system partition on the same physical disk
- Boot drive must not be configured with RAID or Logical Volume Managers (LVM)
- Tablets and any systems without a wired or OEM-supplied attachable keyboard are not supported
For more information about requirements for UEFI systems, see article TECH203071, "Running Symantec Encryption Desktop on Microsoft Windows 8 UEFI Systems."
Symantec Drive Encryption on Windows Servers
Symantec Drive Encryption is supported on all client versions above as well as the following Windows Server versions:
- Windows Server 2008 64-bit Edition (Service Pack 1 and 2) with internal system RAID 1 and RAID 5
- Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit Edition with internal system RAID 1 and RAID 5
- VMWare ESXi 4 (supported Microsoft Windows Servers operating in a virtual environment)
Note: Dynamic disks and software RAID are not supported.
For additional system requirements and best practices information for use on Windows Servers, see the following article.
Symantec Drive Encryption on Tablet PCs
Symantec Drive Encryption is supported on Tablet PCs that meet the following additional requirements:
- Dell Latitude XT1 and XT2 Tablet PC Touch Screen Laptops (undocked)
- 1024 x 768 x 16 screen display running SVGA mode
- Optional physical keyboard
- 512 MB of RAM
- 124 MB hard disk space