Issue was observed on HP thin client, but most likely applicable for any device with Win CE 5.0+
After Network Discovery task Resource manager displays wrong OS - Microsoft Windows 2008 6.0 instead of Win CE 6.0.
To get SNMP output from device:
1. Install net-snmp binaries from
2. Gather output of following command from thin client:
snmpwalk -On -Oe -OU -v2c -c public clientIPaddress > C:\output.txt
First string in this txt file shows the version of OS, i.e. .18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.0 = STRING: Microsoft Windows CE Version 6.0 (Build 0)
Network Discovery task identifies it as Windows 2008 6.0. We have tested with 4.10 and 5.0 version of CE as well. Issue exists for Windows 5.0 which reported as Windows 2000, but for 4.10 it is working fine.
Network Discovery task incorrectly identifies Windows CE 5.0/6.0
FIxed by adding a new private function ExtractVersionFromDescription() which returns the version number contained within system description string. Previously this code was present inside BuildOSInfo() itself, now its moved out to a different function so that it can be used at multiple places.
Also added a new check for "Windows CE" string inside description to correctly identify it, inside function, BuildOSInfo().
Symantec released pointfix for this issue.
1. Navigate to "C:\Program Files\Altiris\Symantec Installation Manager\Installs” (by default)
2. Stop the Altiris Host Service.
3. Right click on altiris_discoverytasks_7_1_sp2_x64 and select uninstall. Proceed to uninstall Discovery Tasks.
4. Open the command prompt (run as administrator), navigate to diretory where msi is stored and type “msiexec /i Altiris_DiscoveryTasks_x64.msi skipaim=1”. Proceed to install new Discovery Tasks
5. Restart Altiris Host Service
6. Run a new discovery task to verify
Observed on SMP 7.1.2 MP1.1, no rollups installed