How to perform a manual upgrade of Symantec Endpoint Protection clients after upgrading the Endpoint Protection Manager to the latest install package.
There are various methods available to deploy a new upgrade version of Symantec Endpoint Protection to existing clients which allows the end-user to tailor the deployment to the needs of their network environment.
Deploying a new Client Install Package to a Client.
To target specific client machines for remotely-pushed upgrades from the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager.
1. From the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager Console navigate to the Clients tab.
2. Select Add a Client.
3. Select New Package Deployment and click Next.
4. From the Install Packages drop-down box, select your new version and click Next.
At this point there are three methods for the actual deployment itself.
A. Web Link and Email: which will require the client-user to navigate to and manually download the version of the software you are sending. After selecting this option, fill-in the email recipients field and select next.
B. Remote Push: Will deploy over the network and install silently. The client user will receive a prompt at the end of the process informing them that a reboot is necessary and allow a small window to push-back the reboot if needed.
Note: See http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO80805 to prepare your network before the deployment.
1. From the Client Deployment Wizard your Microsoft Windows Network should generate all machines on your network; you may also manually search for IP Addresses by Range and Specific computer names as well as import a computer list from a file.
2. Select the computers you wish to upgrade and use the >> arrow to add them to the list. You may be prompted for Login Credentials, enter them and click OK. Then click Next.
3. You will be provided with a summary screen listing which computer will receive the update, click Next and wait for the process to finish, then you will receive a summary of which deployments succeeded and if any failed.
C. Save Package: This method will allow the creation of either an .EXE or .MSI installation package but it will be up to the administrator how to distribute these throughout the network.
1. Select the directory you wish to export the file to and the preferred file type and click Next.
2. The next page will provide you with a summary for the package you are creating. Click Next. Once the progress bar completes your package will be ready for deployment.
Always reboot the clients once they have had a chance to install the new package, be careful not to reboot until the entire process is complete including the clients’ live update.