Custom resources must be explicitly added for use into the Symantec Management Platform Console before they can be viewed or edited. Check the following areas that may have been missed to ensure that these are correctly added.
Configuration Items (CMDB/Asset)
Custom resources must be manually added to the views to be used by adding new Resource Type Links (but not by modifying the views directly).
- In a Symantec Management Platform Console, click on the Home button > Service and Asset Management > Manage Configuration Items.
- Click to expand the Manage Configuration Item folder and its sub-folders to where the custom resource is to be added to, such as to the Computers and Peripherals folder.
- Right click on the folder for where the custom resource is to be added to and choose New > Resource Type Link.
- From the Select a Resource window, find and click on the name of the custom resource.
- Click on the OK button. The custom resource should now appear under the selected folder from step 3.
- Repeat the above instructions, but this time while in Manage > Assets > Manage Configuration Items, to where the same folder was used from step 3. Otherwise, the custom resource will only appear in one of the two views. Note: These steps will also be needed in the custom resource is expected to appear in any other view.
Organizational Views and Groups (Core/CMDB)
Organizational Views and Groups, by default, do not show all resources. Other types not shown, including custom, must be manually added. Note: This section is optional if the user does not desire to have their custom resources appear in Organizational Views and Groups, which will not have any negative effect if they do not.
- In a Symantec Management Platform Console, click on the Manage button > Organizational Views and Groups.
- Click on the "Default" Organizational View.
- In the top right of the Symantec Management Platform Console, click on the Filter button.
- Find and click to select (checkmark) the resource to add. Notes: (1) Custom resources are added alphabetically, not under their parent resource type. For example, "Smart Phones", which has a parent resource of "Cell Phone", would therefore be farther down the resource list, in the S section, not back near the top, under "Cell Phone". (2) For older versions of of Symantec Management Platform 7.1, and for Symantec Management Platform versions 7.5 and 7.5 SP1, there is a defect that causes the name of the custom resource to appear as "New Resource Type". The following article describes how to resolve this:
Unable to find custom resources in Organizational Views and Groups when using CMDB Solution 7.5
- Click on the OK button.