The installation of Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 RU2 (SEP) client onto some WEPOS machines seems to progress without error, but after the computer, kiosk or other embedded device reboots there will be a notice in the SEP client GUI that the firewall is malfunctioning.
Attempting to repair the install from Control Panel will result in a pop-up message, "Fatal error during installation."
The teeferInstall.log file shows the following error:
Running SymHelp afterwards will detect:
Error Service EraserUtilRebootDrv is not installed.
Error Service eeCtrl is not installed.
Error Service Teefer2 is currently stopped.
(or, of MinimizeFootprint reg key was not altered before install:)
The following steps will enable the SEP 12.1 RU2 client to install successfully and completely:
1. Modify the "MinimizeFootprint" registry key:
Delete or rename "MinimizeFootprint" value from registry and reboot, then install SEP.
2. Install SEP 12.1 RU2 with the Network Threat Protection (Firewall) component only. After the client computer is rebooted, the teefer2 will be a stopped state:
Teefer2 Service Teefer2 LocalSystem Manual Stopped 1077 Kernel Driver Symantec Corporation Symantec CMC Firewall 100.0.814.814 100.0.814.814 Symantec CMC Firewall Teefer2 C:\Windows\system32\drivers teefer.sys
3. Manually install teefer2: In connection properties (for example : "Local Area Connection Properties"), select "Install"->"Service"->"Add", then select the [SEP CD]\Program Files\Symantec\Name\Version\Bin\ TeeferXP\teefer.inf file.
4. Run "smc -stop" and "smc -start" to restart smc. (Or, reboot the client)
5. From Control Panel, modify Symantec Endpoint Protection to add AntiVirus and any other components desired (PTP, etc)
6. Recover "MinimizeFootprint" value after installation is finished successfully.
After this procedure is complete, all of SEP 12.1 RU2 should be in a running state, with no error displayed in the GUI.
Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 RU2