After upgrading Symantec Messaging Gateway (SMG) to version 10.0.0-7 the MTA service can not start.
- The hardware is supported
- There is enough disk space
- The upgrade completes successfully
- There are no other appearent issues
- Rebuilding the rpm database does not help
- Reboot does not help
- When trying to start the MTA an error "Bareword found where operator expected at /opt/Symantec/Brightmail/mta/lib/perl/Term/readPassword.pm line 7, near "VEOF VEOL" is displayed
[BrightmailScheduler_Worker-48] ERROR - Cannot obtain the pause mode status.
[BrightmailScheduler_Worker-48] ERROR - Bareword found where operator expected at /opt/Symantec/Brightmail/mta/lib/perl/Term/ReadPassword.pm line 7, near "VEOF VEOL" (Do you need to predeclare VEOF?)
syntax error at /opt/Symantec/Brightmail/mta/lib/perl/Term/ReadPassword.pm line 7, near "VEOF VEOL "Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/SMS/Common.pm line 59
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/SMS/Common.pm line 59
Compilation failed in require at /opt/Symantec/Brightmail/mta/lib/perl/SMS/MTA.pm line 59.
A corruption has occured to the MTA during the upgrade process
Symantec is currently investigating the issue. Currently the only solution is OSRestore. Pls subscribe to this article for future updates.