When you attempt to use the WinSCP client to establish an FTP connection through a SOCKS port on Symantec Web Gateway appliance, you receive a connection error.
WinSCP appears to use send the SOCKS 5 header but otherwise appears to use SOCKS version 4a.
SWG appliance supports SOCKS4 and SOCKS5, but not SOCKS4a.
Symantec has no plans to implement SWG support for SOCKS 4a at this time.
Please use an FTP client that implements either SOCKS4 or SOCKS5.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Enable SOCKS Proxy in SWG.
2. From Client Machine(WinXP), open WinScp.
3. Now Configure the Proxy in Putty (SOCKS 4 or SOCKS5).
5. Check the "Advance" check box to enable Proxy setting.
6. Configure socks proxy
7. Now try to connect to a Linux Machine 10.130.16.44 (VM Location USA).
Connection Error for WinSCP over FTP through Socks Proxy.