Customer reported that AEXAgentUIHost.exe process starts for every RDP session. Registry fix in KB HOWTO7217 doesn't work on Server 2008 R2 to remedy this. This start happening when he started using SMP 7.1.
Multiple instances of the AgentUIHost running on an endpoint. The client computers are Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.
Previously you could use a registry key setting that kept AexAgentUIHost.exe from loading for each user:
HKLM\Software\Altiris\Altiris Agent\Run UI in main Session only
Changing the value to 1 used to keep the process from loading for every user. You needed to restart the Altiris Agent (NS 6) or Symantec Management Agent (NS 7) Service on the server to apply the change.
Here is the error in the Altiris Agent logs:
<event date='Jul 07 15:11:42' severity='4' hostName='SGOFCTXSTDDSK04'
source='SessionManager' module='AeXAgentUI.dll' process='AeXNSAgent.exe'
pid='2360' thread='23936' tickCount='475772332' >
<![CDATA[Ignoring Run UI In Main Session Only setting for session 19, OS is
Vista or newer.]]>
This issue has been reported to the Symantec Development team. This issue has been resolved in the ITMS 7.1 SP2 release.
A Pointfix is available for customers with ITMS 7.1 SP1. See attached "Pointfix_eTrack2726559_ 7_1_SP1_Agent.zip"
Point-fix targets issue described in the incident #2726559: AEXAgentUIHost.exe process starts for every RDP session. Registry fix in KB HOWTO7217 doesn't work on Server 2008 R2 to remedy this.
Installed ITMS 7.1 SP1
HOW TO INSTALL THIS POINTFIX
1. Retrive files from the archive to the NS hard drive. Note: Do not place PointFix binaries within Altiris directory tree.
2. Run as administrator PFinstaller.EXE, click on ‘Install’ button
3. Old binaries will be automatically backuped to the same location where PFinstaller is and replaced with the new ones.
4. Use policy to upgrade Symantec Management Agent.
HOW TO UNINSTALL
1. Make sure that Backup folder exist in the same location as PFinstaller.EXE.
2. Run as administrator PFinstaller.EXE, click ‘Uninstall’ button
Symantec Management Platform 7.1 SP1, SP2
OS Vista or newer