Symantec Encryption Desktop Software installation failed with error "installation ended prematurely because of an error"
Exact error : "installation ended prematurely because of an error"
This could be because of any number of reasons...
Please check the following if you have received this error message :
1. See if check disk is running in the background.
- Right click the task bar (on the bottom of the screen) and click Task Manager then look for chkdsk.exe in the process list.
2. Check if disk defragmenter is running.
- Right click the task bar (on the bottom of the screen) and click Task Manager then look for defrag.exe in the process list.
3. Check the services and confirm that the Windows Installer service is running.
- Click Start, Run, Type in "services.msc" and click OK.
- Change the service properties to "Automatic" and restart this service.
4. Check for BitLocker software is disabled and disable it if enabled (applicable in Windows 7 Professional through Ultimate which includes BitLocker)
5. Disable OR un-install ThinkVantage Security software which conflicts with the PGP software. (Applicable in versions previous to 10.2 MP3)
6. Disable Altiris software. (Applicable in versions previous to 10.2 MP3)
7. Check event logs for installation errors.
8. Check the temporary folder for installation files and find the PGP folder.
- Delete temporary files by opening My Computer, right click Disk Drive C:\, click on Properties, Click the Tools tab and run the Disk Cleanup wizard
9. Re-start the computer and initiate the installation again if you get the same error as above follow the below step :
- Open the temp folder
- find the pgp folder
- open the .exe (Executable file)
- double click it to open the software installation wizard.