This issue may be due to a known Microsoft issue with a logon performance enhancement set in Windows XP. This may be corrected by enabling the setting to Always wait for the network at computer...
in the Group Policy for the Windows XP system.
To correct the issue, use the following steps:
- Open the Group Policy for the computer.
- Expand Computer Configuration and browse to Administrative Templates>System>Logon folder.
- Double-click Always wait for the network at computer...setting. (The properties for the setting are displayed)
- Click the Enabled radio button.
- Click OK to save the updated setting.
For more information on scripts and logon features, see the following Microsoft Support articles.
Scripts May Not Run Before Windows Explorer Starts...
Description of the Windows XP Professional Fast Logon Optimization feature