The following is a simple test to determine whether the dagent.dat file is being saved properly to the Windows Temp directory:
- Create a Network Boot automation environment (PXE or CD).
- Issue the Power Control | Restart task to the node.
- Manually boot the node using the Network Boot environment.
- Run a dir command against the Windows Temp folder on the hard disk and check for the presence of the dagent.dat file.
If the file is missing, more exhaustive troubleshooting will be necessary. Because of the various ways in which the dagent.dat file can be manipulated, there is no universal solution to this problem. The following is a shortlist of possible solutions:
- Confirm file permissions and ACLs are correct for the credentials used by the DAgent service.
- Check for the presence of any system restorative applications, such as Deep Freeze.
- Ensure there are no utilities running which automatically clear the Windows Temp directory (%windir%\Temp).
Deployment Solution 6.9.430 (SP3)
Windows XP Professional SP3
*Confirmed in this environment. Other environments may also be affected.