A system encrypted with SEE will not boot up in one of the following circumstances:
An error such as the following may appear:
The EAFS volumes contain errors run recover
E+ Err 5! Run recover
SEE has discovered an unsupported storage controller, contact SEE Tech Support.
There are 4 main causes for issues that occur while booting the SEE Pre-OS:
We can roughly diagnose the issue from the exact point at which the boot process failed. Note that these are only pointers and do not cover all eventualities:
1. At the initial Black Screen: “Starting Symantec Endpoint Encryption…” -> Most likely a Hardware Compatibility issue.
2. At the initial Black Screen: “Starting Symantec Endpoint Encryption…” after “Please wait” is displayed -> Most likely a Corrupt volume file.
3. At the colour screen “Initializing Symantec Endpoint Encryption…” -> Most likely a Corrupt volume file.
4. At the Pre-OS Ctrl-Alt-Del screen, but the Authentication dialogue does not display -> Most likely a Corrupt volume file.
5. After entering the correct credentials when the system is switching from the Pre-OS to the OS -> Most likely an MBR issue.