Tasks failing "To virtual partition: Failed to update unattend.xml file."
You try to run a task and it fails at the To Virtual Partition step with the error, "Failed to update unattend.xml file." This only happens when using WinPE as your PreOS.
There are multiple possible solutions:
1. Make sure that you have not added any extra files (copy) to default WinPE folder on the Console.
2. Check the size of the folder c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\symantec\ghost\template\common\winpe. It should be around 120-150MB.
3. Try deleting files on the client: c:\program files\symantec\ghost\incoming\winpe folder.
4. Ensure you have enough free space on the client machine on C: drive to hold the WinPE files. Again, they are roughly 120-150MB.
5. Ensure you have the latest build of Ghost, which is 22.214.171.1246. Run LiveUpdate until it reports you have the latest version.
6. Check the Client machine see if the Network Adapters are bridged to a MAC Bridged Miniport.
7. The driver for the network card, the one for the storage controller or both are missing in the Windows PE environment. Please add them according to TECH110136.
Note: This situation may also allow for duplicate machines in the Default Machine group.
For XP machines:
For Windows 7 machines: