How to join a GhostCast server session using a network boot disk
Article ID: 151722
Ghost Solution Suite
You want to use a network boot disk to join a GhostCast Server session.
Follow these instructions to use a network boot disk to join a GhostCast server:
Configure the GhostCast Server
Configure the Ghost Client(s)
- In the Ghost Console window, click on the Tools menu.
- Click on GhostCast Server.
- In the Symantec GhostCast Server window, type a session name in the Session Name edit field. For example, "Create Ghost Image".
- Select Restore Image to restore an existing image or Create Image to create a new image.
- Click on the Browse button.
- In the Open window, type the image name to restore or create in the "File name" edit field.
- Click on the Open button if restoring or the Save button if creating.
- If restoring:
- Click on the More Options button if they are not displayed in the Auto Start section under the button.
- Edit the Client Count edit field to the number of machines to restore the image to.
- If creating or when finished with the restoring sub-steps above, click on the Accept Clients button.
- Boot the client machine(s) with the network boot disk, CD, or thumb drive. For instructions on how to do this, please refer to the document How to make a network boot disk using the Symantec Ghost Boot Wizard.
- When the client machine boots into Ghost, you'll see an "About Symantec Ghost" window. Click OK on this message.
- Select the GhostCast option on the left side of the screen.
- Select Multicast, Directed Broadcast, or Unicast from the submenu. For more information about these choices, consult your network protocol documentation.
- In the "GhostCast Session Name to Join" box, type the name of the session you want to join. This was established in Configuring the GhostCast Server: Step 3.
- For the "Discovery Method", select one of the following options by clicking the radio button:
- Automatic: The client machine will try to locate the Ghost Cast Server session on its own.
- Server IP Address: Specify the IP address of the machine that's hosting the Ghost Cast Server session.
- Click OK.
- Select the drive to perform the imaging operation on:
- For image creation, specify the source drive.
- For image restore, specify the destination drive.
- Click OK.
- Select the level of compression:
- None: No compression of the image file is performed.
- Fast: The default level of compression.
- High: A high level of compression.
- For more information about compression levels, please refer to the document Ghost compression ratios and performance.
- When asked if you're ready to proceed, click OK and the imaging process should begin.