To work around this issue, uninstall Application and Device control from the workstation. A restart of the workstation should not be necessary once this is done.
To remove Application and Device control:
- Open Add or Remove Programs from Start -> Control Panel
- Select Symantec Endpoint Protection in the list of currently installed programs
- Click the "Change" button to modify the install
- The SEP InstallShield Wizard will now open - click "Next"
- Click "Next" again as we will be modifying the install
- In the Custom Setup window that will now appear, located "Application and Device Control" in the list of installed features under Proactive Threat Protection
- Click the drop down menu next to "Application and Device Control" to change the setting to "This feature will not be available" and to change the icon for the feature to a red X
- Click "Next"
- Click "Install" to allow the feature change to take place
- Click "Finish" to quit the install wizard and you can now close out of Add or Remove programs
NOTE: If LiveUpdate starts after this process is complete, you can allow LiveUpdate to connect and update installed virus definitions, if necessary.