Database backups created by the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) Database Backup and Restore Wizard are stored in a non-cofigurable location under the SEPM data folder. Though the backup folder location cannot be directly configured, the SEPM data folder can be configured to be stored in an alternate location.
Note: Be aware of the following before making any changes to the location of the SEPM data folder:
Modifying the SEPM data folder location:
- To prevent I/O bandwidth starvation, the SEPM data folder needs to be housed on a fast, local drive
- A copy of the data folder at the time of reconfiguration is left in the default location after the reconfiguration is completed. This is for archival purposes
- Customers updating their SEPMs Antivirus/Antispyware definitions via the .jdb will need to make sure they are placing the .jdb into the new data directory and not the archive
Please make note of the following information before making any configuration changes to the SEPM: SEPM database type (SQL or Embedded), SQL Server location, instance name and port number (if applicable), SQL Authentication type and SQL credentials.
- Start the SEPM Management Server Configuration Wizard
- Select the Reconfigure the management server radio button then click the Next button
- Accept the defaults for Server name, Server port and Web console port
- Modify the Server data folder text box as required and click the Next button
- Select the correct database type (Microsoft SQL Server or Embedded database) and click the Next button
- For Embedded database:
- Verify the default Database server port
- Enter the correct password
- Click the Next button
- For Microsoft SQL Server:
- Verify the Database server name (including the instance name if the SEPM database is in a named instance)
- Verify the SQL server port
- Verify the Database name
- Verify the Authentication method and provide credentials
- Click the Next button
- After the Management Server Configuration Wizard completes, click the Finish button to complete the wizard.
The Management Server Configuration Wizard will create a copy of the original data folder in the location specified and configure the SEPM's conf.properties file to point to this new location. After these modifications, the SEPM will keep the original data folder for archival purposes, but all new data will be written to and read from the new data folder location.