An internal LiveUpdate Administrator server 2.x (LUA 2.x), can download product updates and virus definitions for Symantec Macintosh products.
This document presumes LUA has already been installed and configured for updates to Windows-based Symantec products.
To download updates for Macintosh products
Verify LUA version:
- Click on About in the top right corner of the screen.
- If the version is listed is at least 2.1.3, you will be able to obtain definitions for SEP for Macintosh.
- Otherwise, update your LUA to the latest version.
Configure the LUA to download only the Macintosh updates:
- Select Download & Distribute
- Under Add Download Schedule, give the schedule a name (e.g. Macintosh content downloads)
- Under Select Products click Add
- At this point you can check the full product family to get all definition sets, including Macintosh definitions, OR
- Click the + symbol next to the product name to expand the list of available updates to download
- Click the + symbol again next to Content Updates to get the full list of virus definition content updates
- Select the check boxes for the desired Mac content
- Click the Add button
- Under Set Schedule, choose the appropriate frequency for the virus definition content updates (on a time, Daily, Weekly, Monthly or just once)
The products will then need to be added to a Distribution Center for clients to be able to download them. Please refer to "Install and configure LiveUpdate Administrator" for guidance on how to do this.
To set up clients to download updates from the internal LiveUpdate server:
- Within the SEPM, choose Policies in the left pane.
- In the Policies menu, highlight LiveUpdate.
- Either edit the preexisting LiveUpdate policy assigned to the group to which your Macintosh clients belong, or create a new policy under Tasks > Add a LiveUpdate Settings Policy..., to be assigned after the policy is saved.
- Select Server Settings under the Mac Settings category.
- Select the button next to Use a specified internal LiveUpdate server, then choose Add....
- Fill in the following information:
- Server Name: a name to identify the LUA server. This is not the path from which clients will be updating.
- Description (optional): more information on the LUA server.
- URL: The URL must appear as an HTTP or FTP path, not the local or network path to the folder on your LiveUpdate Server. For LUA, the default production distribution center for LUA 2.2 or higher would be: (server IP address):7070/clu-prod
- You can confirm by looking in the LUA console under Configure, then Client Settings.
- Click OK, then OK again to save the changes. If this is a new policy, you will be asked to assign the policy to a group; click on Yes, then assign it to the group containing the Macintosh clients.
- Macintosh clients will get the updated policy depending on communication settings and frequency of heartbeat.
To confirm clients are updating from the internal LUA server:
You can verify by viewing the lux.log located at /Library/Application Support/Symantec/Silo/MES/Liveupdate/Logs.