In update 7.11 of vmware probe the release notes say:
Ability to monitor a VCenter but exclude certain VMs to be discovered by vmware Probe.
Is there documentation that describes this process as I need to exclude vms that have a specific naming convention other than the current exclusion that I already have in my probe configuration.
- need for more regex examples in the doc
Release : 8.51
Component : UIM - VMWARE
The vmware log shows the results of the regex filter/exclusion:
[Data Collector - wxxxabxget71d.corpxxx.com, vmware] 330 VMs filtered out from inventory in the log file.
Take note of the number of VMs filtered out and make sure that it makes sense.
Here is an example regex for filtering out VMs that contain wvmes or wvdi within the name.
Note that the regex is Oracle java 7 regex so use a java regex tester for verification before testing it in your environment.
From the vmware probe documentation:
We want to monitor a vCenter but want to filter certain VMs from being discovered by the vmware Probe.
You can filter the VMs that the vmware probe will consider for discovery by using a regular expression (regex) to filter VMs for matching names.
You need to upgrade to vmware probe version 7.11.
To filter VMs for discovery by label name via Config Key, follow these steps:
- Upgrade and start the vmware probe.
- Navigate to Admin Console > Raw Configure > Setup, and add the config key 'filter_out_vms_with_vm_name_matching_regex' .
- Specify the value with 'VM name' of the VM(s) you want to exclude under the setup section via raw configure.
- Save the changes and restart the probe.
- Create a profile for the vcenter.
- Profile should be created and the VM name provided in the config key should not be added to the inventory.
- To add the VM to the vCenter, rename the VM with a name other than the value specified as the config key.