We received a request to create 250 watcher rules in the same profile in the logmon probe. Could you please let me know how many watcher rules does logmon probe support in a single profile created by us in CA UIM?
There is no hardcoded limit to the number of Watchers a logmon profile can contain.
There are practical limits that would need to be tested in a lab for your particular needs.
Limiting factors include:
1. amount of free CPU
2. amount of free memory
3. disk IO
4. size of the target file being checked
5. how often and with how much data is the target file being updated
6. the complexity of the watcher check files
7. whether or not you are using format blocks
8. any exclusions
9. regex complexity
10. logmon monitoring interval
All of these things will affect logmon's ability to be able to perform the number of checks without issue.
Possible side effects of too many watchers include:
1. logmon consuming all free memory
2. logmon causing CPU spikes
3. logmon affecting disk IO
Unfortunately due to all of these variables, scalability and performance would be based on computing resources and the environment logmon is operating within.