This article describes how to upgrade an existing CA Gen Windows CSE to CA Gen 8.6.
Release: 8.5, 8.6
Component: Gen Client Server Encyclopedia
1. Check Operating System and Database compatibility support for the CSE in the CA Gen 8.6 Techdocs "Technical Requirements" here:
2. Normally changes in Operating System and Database version support in Gen 8.6 will mean that a new CSE server will need to be configured rather than upgrading the existing CSE in place. This is also best practice because it enables both existing and new CSEs to be available during the transition phase. NOTE: The remaining steps in this article assume a new CSE server will be configured.
3. Backup/export the CSE Encyclopedia & Coordination databases on the existing server and restore to the new server. This is the simplest method to copy all existing model data to the new server in one easy step. The alternative approach would be to use the download with upload option (and optional extract option to retain ancestry) on each model one by one in the existing CSE and then upload to the new CSE which is of course a longer process. For further details see: https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-mainframe-software/devops/ca-gen/8-6/encyclopedia/client-server-encyclopedia/use-the-client-server-encyclopedia/encyclopedia-communication/encyclopedia-communications-tasks.html (see "Manually Copying a Model from a CSE to a CSE While Preserving Common Ancestry"). NOTE: The remaining steps in this article assume that the database backup/export and restore approach will be used.
4. Install the CA Gen software on new server.
To install the CSE the Custom setup option needs to be used and feature "Encyclopedia Server" needs to be selected.
If generating code from the CSE then feature "Encyclopedia Construction Server" also needs to be selected. The additional features for the Encyclopedia Client, Encyclopedia Construction Client, Encyclopedia Version Control Kit and Encyclopedia Administration Kit may also be useful to have installed on the CSE server itself.
4a. Run the CSE Configuration Program
b. Under Set Configuration Parameters
- For "Encyclopedia Database Configuration" use "Update Encyclopedia tables to this release"
- For "Coordination Database Configuration" use "Update Coordination tables to this release"
5. Install latest Windows CA Gen 8.6 PTFs for the CSE Server and CSE Clients from the CA Gen 8.6 Solutions & Patches page i.e. Gen 8.6 Complete Release, Workstation PTF WKS86200 and later.