1) you can create NAS alarm notes.
These are preconfigured notes that you can then attach to any alarm by right-clicking in IM on the alarm and going to notes /attach
Showing attached note:
2) from that same menu you can also create a new note and then attach it to the alarm.
3) Notes will only affect the alarm they are attached to. Once the alarm is closed and a new one comes it the note will not be attached to it again.
4) you can also update the custom1 - custom5 fields with additional information.
5) in IM you right-click on an alarm and chooses set custom field.
6) again once the alarm clears this value will not be reset.
7) setting of the custom fields can also be done in the USM in the alarm console window by checking an alarm and going t the action menu.
8) in USM you can attach an alarm annotation to any alarm. this is a free typed message. This can not be seen in IM. But will only affect the alarm it was attached to.