ITAM clean uninstall and reinstall of the App and Web Server
Article ID: 125170
CA IT Asset ManagerCA Software Asset Manager (CA SAM)ASSET PORTFOLIO MGMT- SERVERCA Service Management - Asset Portfolio ManagementCA Service Management - Service Desk Manager
How to perform a clean uninstall, then reinstall of the ITAM component of Service Management, preserving the existing MDB database.
Service Management / ITAM 14.1 and higher
Vital instructions are in bold.
Part 1: General dev environment - Inform all end users that the given environment will be taken down for ITAM install attempt, including any users who may be running Service Desk and Catalog on the same MDB database
- Take snapshot of all relevant servers in the given environment
- Stop all application services for SDM and Catalog and any other applications running in the given environment.
Part 2: ITAM app and web servers:
- Grant the given end user who was logged in to run the install full local admin rights. Reliance on having the rights inherited via the domain may be unreliable and the local admin rights needed to be granted explicitly.
- Disable Anti-Virus protections to prevent interference on the install.
- Uninstall prior APM applications from control panel
- Verify the following registry entries are removed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/WOW6432NODE/CA/Shared/ITAM HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/WOW6432NODE/CA/Shared/MDB
- Verify there are no APM services entries here in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services
- Move all the CA_Asset_Port* logs and the install_14.1.0* logs from \users\administrator\appdata\local\temp folder into a backup dir.
- Remove all files from \program files (x86)\ca\ITAM
- Remove all files from \program files\CA\ITAM\SC\MDB and "C:\Program Files\CA\SC\Mdb" (including MDB directory)
Part 3: MDB database:
- The local mdbadmin user needs to have rights to be able to see/manipulate the given MDB database, to the point where the mdbadmin user can login and see the MDB itself via SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio). Reliance on inheriting the rights, such as via SQL instance control, may be unreliable and said rights need to be granted explicitly.
- Backup the existing al_cdb_configurationparameters and al_cdb_componentinstallstate tables
- Clear the al_cdb_configurationparameters and al_cdb_componentinstallstate tables
- Run the command "sp_change_users_login 'AUTO_FIX','mdbadmin'" in SSMS
Part 4: ITAM app and web servers
- Reboot the servers following work done in Part 2 and run the APM 14.1 install on the app and web servers.
- Verify that the APM 14.1 install components are working. Note: The APM server should be rebooted following the install, before attempting a login.
Part 5: MDB database:
- Restore any missing entries to the al_cdb_configurationparameters and al_cdb_componentinstallstate tables that are present in their backups.
Final: General dev environment
- Reboot all servers in the dev environment
- make sure all applications in the given dev environment are in working order.