How to configure Non Resident Inventory (NRI) in Client Automation to collect inventory from machines without installing the Asset Management agent on the machine?
Client Automation r14 and above
The Non Resident Inventory (NRI) solution provides a simple way to inventory a Windows, Linux, or UNIX computer without having to deploy the Client Automation agent (DSM Agent) to it.
Non Resident Inventory requires the following components to be already installed:
If they are not installed, they can be installed using the Client Automation installation media.
Once they are installed, follow the instructions below:
1. Enable the CA Asset Collector using the following commands:
caf enable assetcollector
caf start assetcollector
2. This creates 3 folders in the ..\CA\DSM folder.
3. The permissions on these folders are automatically configured correctly with the IIS 'IUSR' account having 'Full Control' permissions.
4. NRIReceivedReports folder also has Full Control Permissions for 'IUSR' account.
5. Launch the NRI Agent on the target via one of the 3 methods:
a) Accessing the NRI Web Page - http://<Server name>/wac/jsp/ei/ei.jsp
b) Launching the NRI Agent using a Login Script - https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/business-management/clarity-client-automation/14-0/administrating/asset-management-administration/customizing-asset-management/non-resident-inventory/configuring-the-nri-web-service.html#ConfiguringtheNRIWebService-RunningtheNRIAgentfromaLoginScript
c) Launching the NRI Agent on a UNIX computer manually - https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/business-management/clarity-client-automation/14-0/administrating/asset-management-administration/customizing-asset-management/non-resident-inventory/launching-nri-elective-inventory.html#LaunchingNRIElectiveInventory-LaunchNRIfromLinuxorUNIXComputer
6. When the NRI Agent is launched on an agent, an inventory report (.xiu file) is created and is named after the generated HostUUID on the computer. Ex: 12FDBEBA-572D-4408-BFC8-E7922AD4A998.xiu
7.. Copy the .xiu files to the 'AssetCollectorCollect' folder.
8. The Asset Collector will run, collect the NRI inventory and update the database with the NRI inventory. The NRI agent information will be displayed under 'All Computers and Users' in the DSM Explorer.
For more information on Non Resident Inventory please refer the link below: