What is the proper IDMS backup and journal archive synchronization procedure when doing "non-hot" backups ?
Release: IDADSO00100-18.5-ADS-for CA-IDMS
For proper backup and archive synchonization when doing "non-hot" backups here are the two proper procedures:
A. Backup taken when CV has been shutdown.
1. After successful Shutdown, run Archive Journal to offload the journal that was active at Shutdown time.
- This Archive covers all activity until shutdown. When CV is brought back up and application processing resumes, the next Archive will contain all activity after the startup until the time at which it ran.
2. Take the Backup.
- If any Local update jobs will be run while the CV is down take a backup before and after those local updates.
If you will need to RESTORE from backup and roll forward to a certain time, the Backup AFTER local updates is used and the Journal Archives created after startup are concatenated and used as input to ROLLFORWARD.
B. Backup taken with CV up and relevant areas varied OFFLINE or RETRIEVAL
1. Varying active areas from UPDate to OFFLINE or RETrieval may not happen immediately unless you use the IMMEDIATE option of VARY AREA which abends and rolls back any active transactions.
* Before proceeding to step 2, verify that all of the varied areas have the desired OFF or RET status.
2. DCMT V J will force the active journal to be marked Full and offloaded. This will contain all activity prior to the areas going to OFF/RET status.
3. Take the Backup.
- IF any Local update jobs will be run while the CV is down take a backup before and after those local updates.
4. Vary the areas back to Update mode.
If you will need to RESTORE from backup and roll forward to a certain time, the Backup AFTER local updates is used and the Journal Archives created after the Varying of the areas and the active journal are concatenated and used as input to ROLLFORWARD.
KB000027387 What can cause a DB002542 NOSPACE error during ROLLFORWARD or ROLLBACK?
See Database Administration Guide Backup and Recovery